There are certain areas on campus that would benefit from more concentrated parking options. To address this, two new parking garages are under way.
Business Loop Garage
The business loop parking garage, which will be built on top of the current business loop parking lot, will be the first parking garage on main campus. The garage broke ground in mid-July and will be available for use near the end of April 2015. This garage will house 810 parking spaces that will be able to serve the needs of students, staff and faculty during the day and provide much-needed parking for events at the Huntsman Center and Rice-Eccles Stadium in the evenings and on weekends.
In addition to providing more parking spaces, the structure is built with a reinforced roof that allows it to also serve as a play field. The field will be lit for evening use and will have rails and nets around it.
Where to park during construction: In an effort to provide safe access to parking that has been displaced during this construction, students, staff and faculty who drive to campus are encouraged to park in the lot on the corner of Guardsman Way and 500 South. A new, free shuttle route will run between that lot and the business loop every 15 minutes.
Business Loop Garage at a glance:
- Approximately 810 stalls (net approximately 560 stalls).
- Play field on the roof.
- Scheduled for completion in April 2015, and the field will be ready for the fall 2015 school year.
- A new shuttle route will transport commuters from the lot on Guardsman Way to the business loop.
- Electric vehicle charging stations will be available at each level in the garage.
Northwest Parking Garage
The surface parking lot between the Sutton Geology and Naval Sciences buildings will soon become the home of the second parking garage on lower campus. This smaller parking garage will help provide more parking near Presidents Circle.
The garage will hold 310 parking stalls and will help with faculty and staff parking during the day as well as provide parking for the many special events that are housed in and around Presidents Circle in the evenings and on weekends.
Construction will start this fall and will be finished in time for school in August 2015.
Northwest Parking Garage at a glance:
- Approximately 310 stalls (net approximately 220 spaces).
- Scheduled for completion in August 2015.
- Electric vehicle charging stations will be available in the garage.